Celebrating International Sex Day, And Then Some
If you’re a sexual being (which, we all are!) and a person who loves to celebrate (and who doesn’t enjoy a good party?) then June is the month for you!
June is packed with worthy commemorative days to honor, celebrate, and explore being a sexual human!
Of course, it’s LGBTQ Pride Month! Worldwide we get to celebrate sexual diversity while promoting equality and increasing visibility for LGBTQ people and their wonderful contributions to our society.
June is also National Adult Sex Ed Month! Since adult sexuality education is my life’s passion and full-time job, this is a special month for me to remind you that sexuality is a lifelong experience, and as such sexuality education should be a lifelong experience. You’re never too old to keep learning and keep growing in your sexual body, relationships, and health!
June also is the home for Men’s Health Month (of which sexual health is an important part that often gets overlooked), Cervical Screening Awareness Month (the second week in June- schedule those paps!), and National HIV Testing Day (on June 27).
And because sexuality isn’t just about sexual bodies, it’s important to note June days that maybe you haven’t considered “sexual”, such as National Loving Day on June 12 (which commemorates the anniversary of the Loving vs Virginia that struck down laws against interracial marriage because being able to form a relationship with the person you choose is part of sexual freedom), Father’s Day on June 16 (because reproducing and raising a family can be a part of our sexuality), National Selfie Day on June 21 (because positive body image and self-worth is an important aspect of sexual wellness), and National PTSD Awareness Day on June 27 (because sexual violence is the leading cause of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, especially among women).
But I’m partial to one particular day this month, June 9.
It’s both International Sex Day AND National Sex Educator Appreciation Day!
Because it’s 6/9, get it!? Ba dum tss.
Talk about the perfect summer day!
So get celebrating! Here’s how:
- 69. Duh J
- Wish your social media followers a Happy International Sex Day. Human sexuality is still taboo, and the more people talk about it opening in public, the closer we get to eradicating the stigma.
- Get yourself a new vibrator, like the Slay Exciter, and try to beat your personal orgasm record in one masturbation session. https://calexotics.com/catalog/product/view/id/7788/s/slay-exciter-7-15-3-pink/category/7/
- Post something informative on social media every day of Adult Sex Ed Month. You could share this blog post, for instance, a few of your favorite Sex in 60 Seconds Videos https://www.youtube.com/calexotics, a link to HIV testing facilities in your community, an article on Pride Month by an LGBTQ writer, and so on.
- Compliment your partner on 6/9 by telling them all the things you love about having sex together.
- Write a thank you note for National Sex Educator Appreciation Day. Consider your Human Sexuality college professor, your child’s “Family Life Education” teacher, the educators at your community health clinic, and the sex educators whose blog/podcast/youtube channel you follow.
- Write a gratitude list on June 9 of all the thinks you’re thankful for about your sexuality, including your sexual thoughts, feelings, relationships, experiences, beliefs, identities, and sensations. Refer back to this list often.